Do You Need A Dental Crown Or A Filling?

noblecrownOur teeth are strong. In fact, they are coated in a material called enamel, which is the hardest substance in the human body. However, occasionally decay or injury can damage enamel or the tooth itself, leading to a greater risk of complications, such as a cavity or an infection. To treat this, we need to perform a restorative procedure. Will you need a crown or a filling to repair your tooth?

When Should I Have My Tooth Repaired?

If your teeth have become chipped or cracked, or if they developed tooth decay, then you need repair. Otherwise, the tooth becomes infected or may even become lost. While a chipped tooth may be obvious, a fracture or decay may not be apparent. However, there are potential warning signs, such as tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures or a toothache. If you experience any discomfort then talk to your dentist. The doctor can examine you and see if you need treatment.

Dental Fillings

If the doctor identifies the presence of decay, then you made need a filling. A dental filling involves placing composite resin into the tooth after the doctor removes the decay. The composite material can be shaded to match the color of the remaining tooth structure. The doctor cures the material under a special light, repairing the cavity in a single visit.

Dental Crowns

If the decay is more severe, or if the tooth has developed a crack or chip, then the doctor may place a dental crown. The procedure begins with preparation as the doctor removes a small amount of structure from the tooth. Impressions are then taken, which are used in the design and fabrication process. You will return for a second visit and the doctor will place the new crown using a powerful bonding agent.

Visit Dr. Noble’s Office in Highland Park Today!

Dr. Natalee Noble and the staff of Noble Dentistry in Dallas, TX are more than just a team of dental professionals; they’re a family, and one that grows with every new patient! To learn more, schedule an appointment by calling today at 214-522-3110.